The Plumb Bronson House
 
     

 

In 1849, A. J. Davis was commissioned to expand the house. At this time, he added a new river façade with a deep veranda, a three-story tower, an octagonal center vestibule with niches, matching semi-octagonal parlors, and ornamental fretwork. Davis respected many of the details of the original Federal house, including the magnificent elliptical staircase, and seamlessly integrated them into his new conception.

In 2003, the Plumb-Bronson House was designated a National Historic Landmark for its association with Alexander Jackson Davis. In its architecture, the house vividly illustrates, in one building, several of Davis’s central design principles—a free interpretation of classical themes, an integration of house with landscape, and an opening of the traditional house’s boxlike shape with irregularities, bold contrasts, and variety in texture and details.

 
      1  2